Writing Foundations’ Guided Study courses are a great choice for one-on-one tutoring and convenience. Each course focuses on a single writing unit from the Level One year-long webinar class. Each course is taken individually, and the skills build from one course to the next.
Writing Foundations Guided Study Courses are great for families in a variety of ways:
1. They work well as guided writing lessons for students with good reading skills.
2. They work as instant, pre-designed lesson plans for parents to use directly with their students.
3. Because a lesson can be completed in about 30 minutes, and each lesson can be submitted on your student’s own timetable, they make a great supplement for students who need more practice in writing, grammar, and punctuation skills.
4. Like all Writing Foundations classes, Guided Study courses give Mom and Dad a break from “editor syndrome”. Letting us point out the errors and provide suggestions makes revising so much more palatable to young writers.
5. The Guided Study Courses help students build the foundational writing skills that they will need for high school and college composition. Students can begin the Guided Study courses as early as 5th grade. The courses offer a buffet of options so that students may repeat a course until they achieve a level of mastery before moving on to the next course.
Each course builds on the one before it. Students need to be confident with the basic fable writing process before moving to reports. Basic report skills enable students do well with short From the Brain essays. From the Brain skills are essential for the Basic Essay lessons.
How do the Guided Study Courses work?
The courses are organized in 3 stages/modules:
Stage 1. Notebook Set Up & Banned Words Lesson (3 lessons)
Stage 2. Technique Practices (18 lessons)
Stage 3. Main writing assignments (16+ lessons)
When a course begins, we provide the students with a plethora of handouts that make up a writing notebook. From there, students practice stylistic techniques that they will use in their future writing assignments. During Stage 3, students follow step-by-step lessons that help them develop a solid foundation for a strong focus. We teach students how to brainstorm, outline, and draft a variety of assignments such as fables (Writing Basics), short reports, short essays (From the Brain) and longer essays.
We use a private learning management system (absolutely NO data mining!) and a series of emails that coincide with the assignments. The system will guide students through each lesson, one step at a time. Each lesson typically takes a student about 30 minutes per day to complete. We receive the assignment, score it, edit it, and make comments for revising. From there we send the student on to revising or a new lesson, depending on the course. At home, parents provide the structure, technical guidance, accountability, and final grading that fit their students’ needs.