Writing Foundations’ weekly webinar classes help students ages ten and up build strong writing skills!
Levels Half, One, and Two lead students on a comprehensive journey of mastery in foundational writing skills. By the time students complete Level Two, they will be well-prepared for senior high, AP, PSEO, and college-level courses where they will be free to think about what to write rather than how to write.
Strong writing skills develop like mental muscles. As it takes time and a lifestyle of exercise to build physical muscles, it takes concentrated time through a season of practice to build writing muscles. As students grow developmentally while in training, their writing skills burgeon, and these powerful skills become a natural part of their abilities. For this reason, many students take each level for two years in a row. To foster a fresh perspective, we use new materials for inspiration, sources, grammar, and vocabulary each year. No two years of any level are ever the same!
The Writing Foundations dynamic duo, Ms. B. and Miss Z., provide the weekly lessons, helpful handouts, relevant assignments, technical editing, and encouraging feedback as they meet with students in a live webinar setting once per week. Parents need only provide light proofreading, homework guidance, and accountability throughout the rest of the week.
Your students will:
· receive expert instruction from award-winning Ms. B. as she demonstrates and guides students in a live setting.
· practice their writing skills and receive supportive feedback directly from Ms. B. for 90 minutes per week.
· have 24/7 access to each week’s class video and class notes for convenient review.
· meet with Ms. B for a total of 32 weeks: 2 semesters, 16 weeks per semester.
· be invited to share their fabulous work with a small group of 15 or fewer classmates where they will receive positive and supportive comments from their peers.
· work in collaborative groups to complete grammar lessons together in a friendly, low pressure competition.
· grow in personal knowledge of grammar, punctuation, usage, mechanics skills.
· earn bonus points during class games and special tasks on homework assignments.
· use bonus points for extra credit towards their grades or for prizes such as washi tape, temporary tattoos, gift cards, and whatever else Ms. B. comes up with throughout the year.
· download handouts via a private student webpage.
· use the handouts to create a substantial writing textbook that they will find useful for many years.
· need approximately 3-4 hours per week and parental supervision to complete the homework assignments.*
· receive positive, encouraging feedback on 3-4 homework assignments per week.*
· learn to use stylistic techniques as they write essays, reports, and more.
· learn numerous technology and desktop publishing skills that are essential for life in the 21st century.
· grow in their typing and file management system skills.
· learn how to successfully interact in an online setting in a safe environment.
· learn how to manage their time to complete their lessons throughout the week.
· never miss a lesson due to travel or illness because every class is recorded for easy review!
· have easy access to a convenient and absolutely private record keeping system for their scores.
· burgeon with confidence in their writing skills.
· laugh and have fun as they learn how to tackle writing assignments that used to be overwhelming.
· develop the foundational skills they need to approach any writing assignment that upper high school, college, and career can throw at them.
· know the joy of attending class in their jammies! Parents can save time and streamline family schedules by eliminating a commute to and from a tutorial class.
· no longer feel triggered by Mom/Dad’s suggestions for their writing. Parents need only proofread papers for the easy and obvious – capital letters, periods, name on the paper, etc. Ms. B. and her head editor, Miss Z., will handle all the heavy lifting of commas, fragments, run-ons, misplaced modifiers, and more!
· receive an official Certificate of Completion at the end of a successful year!
At the end of the year, students make short videos that highlight the most important things they have learned through the year. Take a peek!