• A consistent, high-capacity, broadband internet connection. An ethernet connection is preferable to wifi connection because webinars use a lot of bandwidth. For best access, make sure no one else in the home is using the internet for streaming music or videos at the same time. Due to limitations of the iPad/iPhone app, joining the webinar on an iPad/iPhone is not recommended as student participation in groups and other functions are not accessible through the app.
Writing Foundations has no control over participants’ webinar connection. Technical issues are the sole responsibility of the participant, but Ms. B. will do her best to help you troubleshoot!
• Some international customers may need a substantial VPN service to access webinars and recordings.
• An up-to-date web browser, Firefox, IE, etc.
• Up-to-date Flash Player (part of the browser)
• A word processing program that can highlight words in color, set margins to 1 inch all around, and save documents as PDFs. Ms. B. uses the free program Libre Office on her Mac.
• Adobe Acrobat Reader or similar app to view PDF documents that come from Ms. B. in emails.
• Ability to save documents, create PDFs, and open and save email attachments
• A document backup service such as Dropbox, iCloud, GoogleDrive, etc.
• A tablet, phone, or camera for making the end-of-the-year portfolio video. Most students use Adobe Spark to create their video, but any software/app that can make an mp4 is sufficient.
• Headphones or earbuds for better hearing and better ability to avoid surrounding family distractions.
• Headphones WITH a microphone included in the headset are helpful but NOT required. However, only students with such headphones may use their microphones during group activities (they filter out surrounding noises and only pick up the user’s voice). Using the default microphone on the computer (picks up all the sounds in the room including typing) is too noisy and distracting for group work. Microphones can often be tricky to use, so we don’t recommend them. We like to do our communicating through the chat/discussion box where we don’t care about spelling! (We do, however, care about spelling in the homework.)
• A printer for printing all the handouts that will make your student’s writing textbook throughout the year
School Supplies Needed
***Students should ALWAYS have their notebooks and notepaper/pens nearby during the webinar for the best advantage during classtime games.***
• 3-ring notebook for organizing and storing handouts
• 15 tabbed dividers
• Notepaper and pens/pencils for taking notes as needed
• Printer paper – LOTS
• Printer ink/toner
We STRONGLY recommend PRINTING drafts as well as handouts for more success!
Consider a printer that you can modify with a Continuous Ink System! We tweaked our old Cannon MX860 and haven’t had to buy ink for years!
• Hole puncher for adding handouts to notebook